Proof of Domicile Documents Accepted:
All applicants applying for a driver's license or identification card must provide two proofs of Mississippi residency. Any item presented to establish proof of residency must include the applicant's name and a Mississippi residence address (No P.O. boxes will be accepted). (No junk mail/soliciting, no envelopes, no handwritten documents/letters will be accepted.
- Utility Bill (Electric, Water, Gas, or Cable)
- Bank statement with physical address (no blank checks accepted)
- Paycheck stub (If it has Name and Address)
- Lease/Purchase agreement, Rental agreement
- Bureau of Indian Affairs Card/Indian Treaty Card
- Medical records/bills from doctor/hospital
- Military Discharge/Separation papers
- IRS/State tax forms/W-2 (must be returned taxes)
- Employer ID card with address
- Firearm Permit
- Pilot’s License
- School record/transcript/report card
- Student ID card with photo
- Vehicle title, Vehicle registration or Car Tag registration receipt
- Voter registration card with physical address
- Life, Health, Auto or Home Insurance Policy
- Mortgage papers
- Property tax statement
- Mississippi license issued to parent or legal guardian
- Official Proof of Domicile Affidavit - Roommates, Landlords, Parents or Guardians
- Federal documents - W-2, Medicaid, Child Support, and Social Security document
- Internet or any Phone bills
- Credit card statements
- Military Orders or Military Documents
- Any official Government (city, county, state or federal) document or letter with applicant’s address.
- Homestead Exemption Receipt
- Foreign Birth Certificate (must be translated in English). Foreign Passports are accepted.
- Notarized employer verification on their letterhead stating address of applicant (must include phone number)
- Sex Offender registration documents
Applicants under 21 years of age may use documentation that applies to their parent’s or guardian’s domicile.
Applicants 21 years and older: If no bills or similar documents feature the name of the applicant, the applicant may use the spouse or parent, but must produce a marriage or birth certificate proving legal status. In the case of roommates, landlords, parents, or guardians, the applicant may use the Proof of Domicile Affidavit in conjunction with a driver’s license or identification card (same address as applicant) or one acceptable document to complete the requirement of two proofs of domicile.
Any additional documentation or explanation you wish to provide to support your claim for residency maybe presented. Acceptance is at the sole discretion of the Driver Service Bureau.
Acceptable Documents to verify Date of Birth:
- A valid US or Foreign Passport can be submitted in lieu of a birth certificate, Foreign Passports to be accompanied by approved current immigration status documentation.
- Birth Certificate (original), small card or full size will now be accepted as long as they have a state seal and certificate number. Certificate must be original or certified copy. (No Photocopies Accepted)
- Certificate of Naturalization (N-550 or N-570)
- Certificate of Citizenship (N-560 or N-561)
Verification of Social Security Number:
SSN Card; or an official government correspondence displaying full 9 digits such as but not limited to: W-2 Form (returned), 1099 Form (returned), Pay stub with applicant’s name and full SSN, U.S. Military Form DD-214 or National Guard Form NGB-22.
Name Change - Legal Documents:
Driver Service Bureau will only accept the below listed legal documents in order to change an applicant’s name on a driver’s license or identification card:
- Marriage License
- Divorce Decree
- Adoption Order
- Court Order
Note: the SSN card does not have to contain the new name upon initial transaction, however, the applicant is strongly encouraged to update their SSN card prior to renewing their driver’s license or identification card.