Identification Cards

Any blind or physically disabled person, or any other persons six (6) years of age or older may apply to the Department of Public Safety for an identification card. Identification cards are issued for a four (4) year period:

  • A completed, signed Application form.
  • A social security card or official government correspondence displaying full 9 digits.  
  • A Certificate of Birth, original or certified copy (No Photocopies Accepted).

Note: The appropriate FEE must be paid.

You must provide Proof of Domicile or other acceptable proof (see policy below)

Driver Services Policy 7-1A: Proof of Domicile State Statute 63-1-19 (revised 2013)

Any applicant for an original license who is over eighteen (18) years of age must show proof of domicile in this state to receive a license. No post office box number may be used as evidence of domicile. Any proof of documents must obtain a physical address. The examiner shall note on the application the type documentation used to determine domicile. Applicants under 21 years of age may use documentation that applies to their parents’ domicile.

The following evidence or other reliable evidence may be considered in establishing but is not necessarily determinative of domicile. Proof of domicile must be in the applicant’s or applicant’s spouse’s name, or in the event applicant is under 21 years of age, their parents’ name.

  • Driver license (Cannot be expired more than eighteen months)
  • Certificate of Birth (Must be original or a certified copy (No Photocopies Accepted), have a raised seal and be issued by the Bureau of Vital Statistics or State Board of Health)
  • State issued ID card (Cannot be expired more than six months)
  • Insurance documents, with the following exceptions: (to be determined)
  • Court order. (Must contain full name and date of birth. Examples include adoption document, name change documents, etc.)
  • Military or government ID
  • Military Dependent ID
  • Valid passport, U.S. or Canadian (If foreign, appropriate INS document is also required)
  • State issued learner’s permit
  • Social security card or official government correspondence displaying full 9 digits
  • Marriage Certificate/License
  • (Proof of Residency) The following must show name and address.
  • Bank statement
  • Utility Bill (Lights, Water, Gas, or Cable)
  • Pay check stub (If it has Name, Social and Address)
  • Lease/Purchase agreement
  • Bureau of Indian Affairs Card/Indian Treaty Card.
  • Medical records from doctor/hospital
  • Military Discharge/Separation papers
  • IRS/State tax forms/W-2
  • Employer ID card
  • Foreign birth certificate. Must be translated by a Mississippi institute of higher learning or an approved translator.
  • Parent/Guardian affidavit. Must appear in person, prove she/he is the parent or guardian and submit a certified/notarized affidavit. (Applies only to minors.)
  • Firearm permit
  • Pilot’s license
  • School record/transcript. Must be certified.
  • Student ID card. Must contain photo
  • Vehicle title or Vehicle registration
  • Voter registration card with physical address