Regular Learner’s Permit (valid for 2 years - $7.00)
To be eligible, you must be at least 15 years old and be able to provide proof of being enrolled in school. You must hold the permit for at least twelve (12) months before you will be allowed to obtain your driver’s license. When the twelve (12) months are complete in order to obtain a regular driver’s license (class R) you must provide the following: 1) A valid Learner’s Permit; 2) An up to date school attendance form; and 3) A signed Waiver of Road Testing Affidavit. (For more information, view the section regarding a Regular Driver’s License).
Applicants 17 years old and older, are not required to hold the permit for twelve (12) months and may obtain both the learner’s permit and driver’s license on the same day.
Applicants with a valid out-of-state Learner’s Permit will be given credit for the months they held toward the required 12-month period before receiving a driver’s license.
All applicants must provide the following:
- A completed and signed Application
- Original Birth Certificate or any acceptable document (No Photocopies Accepted)
- SSN Card or an official government correspondence displaying full 9 digits (click here)
- Two proofs of Residency
- Legal Documents are required if going by new name
Pass Knowledge (written) Eye Exam
- School Attendance Form (15-17 year old) this form is not valid if over 30 days old. If applicant is under 18 years of age and married, a school attendance form is not required, however applicant must present a marriage license. If applicant is two months from their 18th birthday, they are not required to submit a school attendance form.
Click Here to view the Driver Education Public Schools that are approved by the Mississippi Department of Education.
NOTE: All applicants must pass both the knowledge and eye exam before obtaining the learner’s permit. The learner’s permit is valid for only two (2) years.