New Commercial Driver License: Class A, B, and C

Online CDL Medical Card Submission

Submit your medical card electronically.

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) medical card waiver has expired. To avoid suspension, you will need to update your Commercial Driver License (CDL) medical card by April 15, 2022. Click here for more details. 


CDL Help Desk: 601-487-7028

NOTE: Beginning February 7, 2022, to be eligible to take required skills or knowledge tests, first time commercial driver’s license (CDL) applicants must have completed applicable Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT) from a registered training provider listed on FMCSA's Training Provider Registry at

FMCSA’s Entry Level Driver Training regulations set the baseline for training requirements for entry-level drivers. This includes those applying for a:

  • Skills test for obtaining a Class A or Class B CDL for the first time;
  • Skills test for upgrading a Class B CDL to a Class A CDL; 
  • Skills test for obtaining a passenger (P) or school bus (S) endorsement for the first time; and 
  • Knowledge test for obtaining a hazardous materials endorsement for the first time

The ELDT regulations are not retroactive; individuals who were issued a CDL or an S, P, or H endorsement prior to February 7, 2022, are not required to complete training for the respective CDL or endorsement.

If an applicant who obtains a Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP) prior to February 7, 2022, obtains a CDL before the CLP or renewed CLP expires, the applicant is not subject to the ELDT requirements.

Any individual who meets one of the exceptions for taking a skills test in 49 CFR Part 383 is also exempt from the ELDT requirements. 

Click here for Entry-Level Driver Training Requirements for CDL Applicants 

Click here for questions regarding the FMCSA's training registry

New CDL License Class A, B, and C

  1. Class A – Any Combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more or towing a vehicle with a GVWR of 10,001 pounds or more.

  2. Class B – Any Single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more.

  3. Class C – Any Single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 26,001 pounds.

       a. Vehicles designed to transport sixteen or more passengers, including the driver.

          b. Vehicles used in the transportation of hazardous materials which are required to be placarded under the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act. Such vehicles requiring Hazmat Endorsement, Hazmat and Tanker, and Passenger vehicles transporting sixteen or more passengers such as school buses.


All applicants must provide the following:

Commercial License Endorsements:

  • H – Authorizes the driver to drive a vehicle transporting Hazardous Materials

  • T – Authorizes driving doubles and triple trailers

  • P – Authorizes driving vehicles carrying passengers

  • N – Authorizes driving Tank vehicles

  • X – Represents a combination of hazardous materials and tank vehicle endorsements

  • S – Authorizes the driver to drive school buses being operated for the purpose of transporting pupils to and from school or to school related functions.