New Driver's License (4 year license - $24.00 / 8 year license - $47.00)
In Mississippi, the minimum age to receive a driver's license is 16 years old.
All applicants must provide the following information:
- A completed and signed Application
- Original Birth Certificate or any acceptable document
- SSN Card or an official government correspondence displaying full 9 digits (click here)
- Two proofs of Residency - Applicants under 21 years of age may use documentation that applies to their parent’s or guardian’s domicile.
- Legal Documents are required if going by new name
- 16 Years of Age – Must have held the learner’s permit for twelve months or until their 17th birthday (whichever occurs first) before qualifying for a Regular driver’s license. When the twelve months are complete in order to obtain a Regular (class R) driver’s license you must provide the following: 1) A valid learner’s permit; 2) An up to date school attendance form; and 3) Waiver of Road Testing Affidavit.
- 17-Years-Old and Older - are not required to hold the permit for twelve (12) months and may obtain both the learner’s permit and driver’s license on the same day. Must pass the knowledge and eye exam and present all applicable required documents. The Waiver of Road Testing Affidavit is not required for applicants 17 years old and older.
- Applicants under 18 years old who have not graduated high school must present a valid school attendance form unless they are married. If married, a marriage license must be presented. If graduated, must present diploma or GED certificate. School Attendance form is valid for only 30 days.
- Applicants with a valid out-of-state Learner’s Permit will be given credit for the months they held toward the required 12-month period before receiving a driver’s license.
- A new Mississippi resident who holds a valid out of state license is not required to take a knowledge exam. Any new Mississippi resident with an expired out of state license is required to take the knowledge exam.
- If a Mississippi resident's driver's license has been expired for more than 60 months, they must retake the knowledge exam.
- A driver may renew their driver’s license any time within six (6) months of expiration.
Light Commercial License - Class D (4 year license - $29.00/ 8 year license - $57.00)
All other vehicles or combination of vehicles which are not included in Class A, Class B, or Class C and for which a Light Commercial License is required when operating a vehicle commercially under 26,000 pounds such as but not limited to any vehicle with a logo for commercial use, taxicab, limousine, or any vehicle transporting no more than fifteen (15) passengers. You do not need a commercial license to drive a pick-up truck, unless you are transporting hazardous materials in an amount that requires a placard. The Class D license does not require a Medical Card.
*NOTE: At this time, no skills (road) test is required of any applicant seeking a regular driver's license.