Regular Operator License – Class R & D – 17 & Over

You must provide the following information:

  • A completed, signed Application form.
  • A social security card or official government document displaying full 9 digits. 
  •  A state issued certified Birth Certificate. Must be original long form or a certified copy (No Photocopies Accepted), have a raised seal and be issued by the Bureau of Vital Statistics or State Board of Health.
  • If at least 17 years of age, you must pass the written test. This may be waived if you are over 17 and have held an out of state license for at least six (6) months.
  • Applicants less than 18 years of age must present an education attendance form obtained from their school or County Superintendent of Education’s Office verifying that the applicant is enrolled in school or has an acceptable alternative. (GED)

Light Commercial License - Class D

All other vehicles or combination of vehicles which are not included in Class A, Class B or Class C and for which a Light Commercial License is required to be issued as provided by Section 63-1-43.


You must pay the appropriate fee.

You must provide Proof of Domicile (see policy below).

Driver Services Policy 7-1A: Proof of Domicile
State Statute 63-1-19 (Revised 2013)

Any applicant for an original license who is over eighteen (18) years of age must show 2 proofs of domicile in this state to receive a license. No post office box number may be used as evidence of domicile. Any proof of documents must obtain a physical address. The examiner shall note on the application the type documentation used to determine domicile. Applicants under 21 years of age may use documentation that applies to their parents’ domicile.

The following evidence or other reliable evidence may be considered in establishing but is not necessarily determinative of domicile. Proof of domicile must be in the applicant’s or applicant’s spouse’s name, or in the event applicant is under 21 years of age, their parents’ name.

  • Electric Bill
  • Water Bill
  • Lease or Rent Agreement
  • Car Tag Registration Receipt
  • Mortgage Papers
  • Homestead Exemption Receipt
  • Bank Statement with Physical Address (no blank checks accepted!)
  • Notarized employer verification on their letterhead stating address of applicant (must include phone number)
  • Mississippi license issued to parent or legal guardian when applicant is under 21 years of age.
  • Voter registration card with 911 address on it.


A new Mississippi resident who presents a valid out-of-state license is no longer required to take a written or skills test. See Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for requirements.

All Original License or ID card MUST show a Certified State issued Birth Certificate (No Photocopies Accepted).