2013 MISSISSIPPI CODE
§ 63-15-46 – Premium reductions for older drivers successfully completing accident prevention course
Universal Citation: MS Code § 63-15-46 (2013)
63-15-46. (1) Any rates, rating schedules, or rating manuals for the liability, personal injury protection and collision coverages of a motor vehicle insurance policy shall provide for * * * an appropriatea ten percent (10%) reduction in premium charges as to such coverages when the principal operator of the covered vehicle is an insured fifty-five (55) years of age or older who has successfully completed a motor vehicle accident prevention course approved by the Department of Public Safety. * * *
Any discount used by an insurer shall be presumed appropriate unless credible data demonstrates otherwise.
(2) The premium reduction required by this section shall be effective for an insured for a period of three (3) years after successful completion of the approved course, except that the insurer may require, as a condition of maintaining the discount, that the insured:
- Not be involved in an accident for which the insured is at fault; and
- Not be convicted, plead guilty or plead nolo contendere to a moving traffic violation.
(3) Motor vehicle accident prevention courses for the purposes of this section shall be subject to the approval of the Department of Public Safety. The department shall consider the competency of the personnel offering the course, the quality of the content and activities of the course with respect to its capability to prevent accidents by persons fifty-five (55) years of age or older who complete the course, and the reasonableness of the fee for the course. The department shall establish the minimum number of hours necessary for completion of a course. A course approved by the department shall require persons completing the course to pass a written test evaluating the person's knowledge of the content of the course.
(4) Upon successfully completing the approved course, each person shall be issued a certificate by the organization offering the course which shall be used to qualify for the premium discount required by this section.
(5) This section shall not apply in the event the approved course is taken as punishment specified by a court or other governmental entity resulting from a moving traffic violation.
(6) This section shall apply to policies issued or renewed after January 1, 1988.